Explore your creativity and improve your wellbeing.
We offer a range of opportunities in which you can participate in a way that benefits you most.
- Express yourself and build confidence
- Improve emotional and physical wellbeing
- Enjoy working at your own pace in a friendly and supportive environment
There is now a growing understanding of the positive impact that taking part in the arts can have on health and wellbeing.
Participation in art-based activities can improve the health of people who experience low-level stress, anxiety or depression.
We are committed to providing programmes throughout the year for people drawn to the therapeutic arts as a way of improving health and encouraging mental wellbeing.
Our programmes are detailed below, some of which require you to have a referral from a health professional.
"This is the one thing that I currently look forward to and can literally get me out of bed in the morning."
Get in touch
If you are interested in finding out more about any of our art sessions please do get in touch.
What we offer:
ArtLight - referral required
ArtLight is an art group for people who feel isolated and/or experience low mood. These short art for wellbeing courses are a chance to try out some painting, printing and other arts and crafts in a friendly group (No experience is necessary).
ArtLight is part of the SPEAR (Social Prescribing for Equality and Resilience) 'Branching Out' service and is available in the following areas:
- Ashley - Wellspring Healthy Living Centre
- Easton - Wellspring Healthy Living Centre
- Eastville - Wellspring Healthy Living Centre
- Lawrence Hill - Wellspring Healthy Living Centre
- Frome Vale - The Care Forum
- Hillfields - The Care Forum
- Filwood - Knowle West Healthy Living Centre
- Knowle- Knowle West Healthy Living Centre
- Stockwood - Knowle West Healthy Living Centre
- Hengrove and Whitchurch Park - Knowle West Healthy Living Centre
- Avonmouth and Lawrence Weston - Southmead Development Trust
- Henbury and Brentry - Southmead Development Trust
- Southmead - Southmead Development Trust
To join an ArtLight group near you will need to make an appointment with the Social Prescribing Link worker.
Courses are run for 5 weeks each at various venues around Bristol. (Where available participants may attend 2 consecutive courses)
"It was good to have the time and space and support to be creative and let go of worries."
Shine-On - referral required
Shine-On is a drop-in art group for those who have completed an Artshine or ArtLight course. Self-led, but supported by Wellspring’s Arts and Wellbeing Officer, it's an opportunity to both continue to enjoy the creative arts and the associated wellbeing benefits.
To come along to a Shine-On session you will need to have attended Artshine or ArtLight in the past year. Please contact Shanti if you are interested in attending.
Cost per session is £2 for tea, coffee and materials.
"Generally I feel much more part of a community, more positive."
Sophie, Shine-On participant.
- Shine-On takes place at the Wellspring Centre on on Thursdays: 10am – 12:30pm and 1pm-3.30pm
Knit & Natter
An easy-going group who meet Wednesday mornings between 10.00 am - 12.00 noon to knit, crochet and chat.
No experience is necessary as this friendly group will happily share their skills and talents.
Cost per session is £1.50 for unlimited tea and biscuits.
"I really enjoy my time at Knit & Natter. I've made fabulous new friends - and I feel uplifted as a result."
Wendy, Knit & Natter participant.
- Courses are run on Wednesday mornings between 10am and 12 noon at the Wellspring Centre
A Wednesday evening pottery course for people of all abilities. It is run by Steve Carter of St. Werburgh’s Pottery.
The cost for a 5-week course is £56 or £43 (concessionary rate).
"This course has taught me so much and is excellent value for money. It's so rewarding on many levels"
Tony, Pottery course participant.
- Please note that booking is essential.
Young at H'Art
This is a relaxed and friendly independent art group that meets on Tuesday afternoons between 2pm and 4pm.
For people of all ages and abilities, it is run independently by an experienced artist – Tony Rudman (www.rudmanarts.co.uk). Tony will coach participants through their projects using the benefit of his experience whilst offering support and guidance in order that attendees get the most from the course.
Cost per session is £3.00/£5.00 (depending on circumstances).
"Tony is so patient with everyone and I've met so many new friends. I'd always enjoyed drawing and now I've learnt some great techniques I'm enjoying it more than ever!"
Sheryl, Young at H'Art participant.
- Please note that booking is essential.